Your teeth, gums and bones in your mouth all require regular care and attention. Regular checkups at the dentist are part of this plan, but there’s a lot you can do at home to keep your smile at its best and prevent the unexpected from happening.
Keys to Effective Dental Care at Home
- Fluoride toothpaste helps strengthen your teeth and adds another layer of protection against cavities. Not all toothpaste contains fluoride, so read labels and talk to your dentist or hygienist about special toothpaste that may help with other concerns, such as sensitivity.
- Drink water. Choosing water over sugary drinks and diet soda is good for your overall health and best for your teeth.
- Brushing and flossing regularly. Twice a day, every day.
When we are kids, we go through a lot of changes in our teeth as baby teeth give way to adult teeth and molars grow in. Orthodontia and wisdom teeth are often concerns in the teen years and for young adults. Adults who have taken care of their teeth all their lives may wonder if they need to worry about their teeth once they are past braces and have gone through wisdom teeth extraction. But good oral care is all about the long game. Regular checkups at their best are quick and unremarkable. But regular checkups over time are also an important way to stay healthy and prevent unexpected surprises.
Why Do We Need to See a Dentist Every Six Months?
Your dental team doesn’t just enjoy your company. When you keep up a routine of visits every six months (or as often as recommended for your needs), you have a better chance of taking care of small dental problems before they become bigger issues. At a checkup, you will experience:
- Gum care and plaque removal with special tools to do the job better than you can do at home.
- X-rays to find decay or issues with the roots of your teeth that can’t be seen in a mirror.
- Professional teeth cleaning, with tools that can remove stains, plaque and tartar.
- Routine screenings of your tongue and the tissue in your mouth for oral diseases or oral cancer. As with any cancer screening, early detection is ideal.
Preventive care and checkups won’t always keep you from tooth loss or gum disease, but regular visits help your dentist track emerging issues with your teeth and mouth. If you ever experience a dental emergency, those routine visits will give your dentist a baseline to refer to when developing a treatment plan. And having an established relationship with a dental team like Morey Dental means one less decision to make if you need serious dental care in a hurry.
Reviews From Real Patients
"I have been seeing Dr. Miller and the staff at Morey Dental for as long as I can remember. This is the only dental team my children have ever known. We have never had a bad experience. The quality of care and the professional, friendly staff are hands down the best! If you are looking for a dental team to take care of you or your family, please give Morey Dental a call. The only regret you will have is why you didn't call them sooner."
"Dr. Hess is fantastic and the entire staff makes the office such a welcoming and friendly environment! I would highly recommend Dr. Hess!"
"My whole family has been coming here for over 20 years! Dr. Miller and the whole staff is welcoming and so advanced in their technology for dentistry."
"The team at Morey Dental has created the most professional dentist office I’ve ever visited, and the staff are the nicest I’ve ever met."
Visit Our Practice
Request an Appointment
Use the form below to request an appointment at our office. We will get back to you soon.